Friday, February 20, 2009

Thurs / Fri - Mountain Park & Guangzhou

We've had a busy 2 days- I ran out of time to post yesterday! Then I had internet problems- sorry everyone!

Thursday mornig we visited a Nanning park- Qing Xiu Moutain park. It was a 1/2 hour drive out of Nanning. We took a winding (luckily paved) road up a moutian overlooking Nanning. There were many shrines & gardens on the way. I am struck by how well manicured the gardens and roadways are here. You always see someone working on the landscape & roadways everywhere you go. Even the underpasses here are beautifiully landscaped gardens. Mike & I were commenting though that we have not truly seen China. We have only visited major metropolitan areas- where 30% of China's population live. 70% live in the rural areas outside of cities. We have seen only a small portion of the 30%. We have not seen any of the other 70%.



Sorry I got sidetracked- the park was beautiful! We stopped at the top for a beautiful view on Nanning down below. Abbey once again was popular to the locals.



Our guide Judy said she heard many people talking about how she looks like Barbie & is very beautiful. Who knows how many chinese people will have picture of my oldest by the time we leave! There also was a chinese girl who asked to have a picture taken with Olivia. I am proud to say she refused to go with her & clung to me! :) I think we are finally becoming more than just nice people who care for her- but family! I almost cried!!




We then went to beautiful manmade pond & fed the fish. I have never seen such a feeding frenzy like this before. Abbey & Olivia really seemes to love the fish alot. We also rented a smal motor boat & had a 20 minute ride around the pond. Olivia must have loved the gentle rocking becuae she actuall y was lulled to sleep in a few minutes. Mike & I have commented that she is ether full speed ahead or she crashes & falls a sleep- we really haven't seen any in between stage!





We spent the rest of the day napping & packing for our early AM trip to Guangzhou-our final detination before we can bring Olivia home. She is much like Tom Hanks in the movie "The Terminal" right now- a girl without a country. In the eyes of China she is no longer a Chinsese citizen but our responsibility. But until she is issued a US Visa- we can not bring her back to the States!

We had to be ready leave & packed by 5:00 AM- the bus left at 5:45! Yikes- but Abbey & Olivia were troopers- course they got more sleep since we were up late packing for them.Olivia did great on her first plane trip. She was wound tighter that a top at first then crashed and slept the whole trip shortly after take off. Hopefully she will do as well on the long flight home!

We got checked in the famous White Swan hotel. In previous years most adopting families stayed here when the Consulate building as across the street. It has since moved down the street - but it is still an adoption favorite. Appearance/cleanliness wise it is the best so far.



It seems Chinese clean & american clean are 2 different things. Even in 5 star hotels there seems to be a layer of grime on tables/counters. The carpets are abosolutely filthy! Oh and everyone in China seems to smoke. There is seldom any no smoking zones. I forgot how nice we have it in America before I came here. Even for the official adoption stuff- men have been smoking in the same rooms as our precious babies! Our last hotel even had lovely mold on the shower- definately not something you would see in the same caliber hotel on the states. The worst thing is the beds- they are the hardest I have ever slept on - or should I say tried to sleep on. I will be so grateful to return home to my Select Comfort Bed!!!

We got to explore some of the penisula we are stayin on. It seems very family friendly- most stores speak some english-they don't seem to want to bargain as much here. We have been able to finish most of our souvenir shopping. I am even having a pant suit custom made for me (the chinese don't really carry clothing for us fluffy girls) for only $65 american dollars at the Lucky Tailor across from the hotel. I'll let you know if it was worth it when I pick it up in a few days!

We also ate at the famous Lucy's a restaurant that caters to americans and serves traditional american food with an american decor. It seemes weird not to be eating with chopsticks after the last 1 1/2 weeks. I did have my first good cup of coffee there. I'm told there is a Starbucks here but I haven't found it ....yet! :)



Tomorrow we have Olivia's physical for her American visa- I'm sure she is going to love it!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for updating. You all look so happy!!Talked to Vi this morning and she said that her and Belle were having a great time! Continued prayers for a safe return home!
    Dedie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You guys have had an amazing journey. She is even more beautiful than I imagined! Praying you have a safe trip home!!!
    Nicole Powell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila Mike Abbey

    It sounds like you might have a charlie on your hands Yikes. Abbey Mckenzie says Hi and loved the elephant picture and the fish picture with mommy olivia. Abbey this is a trip of a life time. Mike and Sheila yall have three beautiful girls yall are very blessed. Praying for a safe trip home. We can wait to see olivia. Mike u are blessed with a great mom. Carol and Vi are having a blast Bell. Love and prayers
    Melissa Jayme Charlie kenzie and Pj

    ReplyDelete